If you're wondering if you're required to have motorcycle insurance, the simple answer is yes. Most states require at least liability insurance. Some require additional coverage. To find out exactly what type of coverage you will need, contact an insurance agent or provider in your area.
Types of Coverage
- Liability insurance
- Motorcycle collision insurance
- Comprehensive coverage
- Coverage for customized motorcycle parts
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage
Insurance Cost Factors to Consider
- Your age, your driving record and where you live
- Type or style of motorcycle you ride
- Age of the motorcycle
- Number of miles you ride per year
- Where you store your bike
- What you use your motorcycle for
Motorcycle Insurance Cost
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in the US is $702 per year ($58.50 per month). Check out this resource created by ValuePenguin/Lending Tree® to see the average cost of motorcycle insurance in your state.
Motorcycle Insurance Providers
Most auto insurance carriers also provide motorcycle insurance.
- Liberty Mutual
- Rider Insurance (specializes in powersports insurance)
- State Farm
Learn about different payment options.